OpenFlex Composable Infrastructure
The OpenFlex architecture and series of products are truly innovative, exemplifying our vision and commitment for delivering Open Composability.
Composable Infrastructure– Physical resources can be organized, accessed and managed with a common interface and open API
Disaggregated– OpenFlex enables true disaggregation of storage and compute for independent scaling to maximize efficiency
Extensible – Flash and disk storage can be independently scaled over the same fabric using the same APIs
With the exponential growth in data, along with the increasing diversity of workflows and demands on IT infrastructure, businesses need to increase speed, agility and time-to-value for their customers. Emerging as a solution for this, composable infrastructure is a new architectural approach that – using NVMe™-over-Fabric – will vastly improve compute and storage utilization, performance, and agility in the data center.
Enabling Fast Data to Live Outside the Server
NVMe-over-Fabric, or NVMf, is a networked storage protocol that allows storage to be disaggregated from compute to make that storage widely available to multiple applications and servers. By enabling applications to share a common pool of storage capacity, data can be easily shared between applications or needed capacity can be allocated to an application regardless of location.
Multiple Storage Tiers Over the Same Wire – Disk and Flash Accessed Via NVMf
In addition to enabling NAND flash media access over NVMf, Western Digital has also enabled disks to be accessed via NVMf so that all data center storage can be addressed in the same way. The Western Digital NVMf architecture is a huge step towards the software-defined data center – allowing storage to be assigned to applications without regard for where it is physically located. This is the essence of “composable infrastructure” where physical resources (compute, networking, storage) can be logically and dynamically configured and treated as a service for a specific application without the need for physical configuration.
- Composable, shareable high-performance storage
- Access data from anywhere in the data center
- Lower CapEx and OpEx by reducing resource over provisioning
- Manageable through existing data center orchestration frameworks
- Common hardware for almost any use case
- Reduce stranded or underutilized resources
- Dynamic provisioning – scale down resources just as easily as you scale up
- Scale at the enclosure or blade level for a wide range of use cases
- Deploy uniform components at a time, provision as needed
- Reduce complexity
- Up to 205TB/U of flash-based storage
- Up to 168TB/U of disk-based storage
- OpenFlex F3000 and OpenFlex D3000 can be hot-plugged to and from the network
- Enterprise-grade, hot-swappable, redundant power supplies and fans